• Alcoa is the world's third largest producer of aluminum, behind Rio Tinto and Rusal
• Alcoa also markets consumer brands Reynolds Wrap foil and Baco household
• In 1886, Charles Martin Hall discovered the process of smelting
aluminum, almost simultaneously with Paul Héroult in France. This discovery, now
called the Hall-Héroult process, is still the only process used to make aluminum worldwide.
• Charles Martin Hall in 1888, with the help of Alfred E. Hunt, started the Pittsburgh Reduction Company.
• "The Aluminum Company of America"– became the firm's new name in 1907.
• The acronym "Alcoa" was coined in 1910 and in 1999 was adopted as the official corporate name