Johnson Controls is a US company specializing in the design, manufacturing, and
installation of automotive systems and non-residential climate control systems.
Founded in 1885 by Warren S. Johnson, inventor of the first electric room thermostat.
• BHP Billiton is the world's largest mining company.
• Its origin is in the 2001 merger of Australia's Broken Hill Proprietary Company (BHP) and the UK's
Billiton, which has a South African background.
• The Broken Hill Proprietary Company or BHP was incorporated in 1885, operating the silver and lead mine
at Broken Hill in New South Wales.
• Billiton's origins stretch back to September 1860, when the articles of association were approved by a
meeting of shareholders in the Groot Keizerhof hotel in The Hague, Netherlands.
• BHP Billiton Limited and BHP Billiton Plc continue to exist as separate companies, but operate on a
combined basis as BHP Billiton