• Air France-KLM was created by the mutually-agreed merger between Air France and Netherlands-based
KLM in 2004
• Private shareholders own 81.4% of the company while the French government owns the remaining
• Both Air France and KLM continue to operate flights under their brand names as subsidiaries of Air France-
• KLM was founded in 1919, making it the oldest carrier in the world still operating under its original name.
The first KLM flight was in 1920, from London Northolt to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
• Air France was formed in 1933 as a merger of Air Orient, Compagnie Générale Aéropostale, Société
Générale de Transport Aérien (SGTA) and Compagnie Internationale de Navigation Aérienne (CIDNA).